Sunday, November 19, 2023

Israel, Hamas and the United States are trying to reach an agreement on a cease-fire

 

    Abdulrahman Al-Thani

Last-minute negotiations ae underway between Israel and Hamas over the release of women and children held hostage in exchange for a five-day ceasefire. Qatar's Prime Minister Abdulrahman Al-Thani has indicated that. 

Qatar is mediation in this discussion. Yesterday, Sunday, Abdulrahman said, there was a discussion about a possible ceasefire in Gaza with the head of foreign affairs of the European Union (EU) Joseph Borrell. 

The Prime Minister of Qatar said that he considers Israel's attack on Gaza a war crime. However, Abudlraman said it is possible to reach an agreement on the release of hostages held by Hamas. Because the challenge to a potential deal is 'very little'. 

A report by the Washington Post, quoting sources related to ongoing reconciliation efforts, said that Israel, Hamas and the United States have reached an agreement of hostage women and children and a ceasefire. But Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and US officials have said they have so far been unable to reach an agreement. 

According to the report of the Washington Post on Saturday, the process of releasing the hostages will begin in the next few days. People familiar with the outline of the six-page tentative settlement agreement confirmed to the media. 

The report comes as Israel prepares to scale up operations against Hamas operatives in the south following airstrikes on two schools in northern Gaza. 

According to the Washington Post report, the agreement requires all sides to suspend fighting for at least five days. During this period, 50 or more hostages will be released every 24 hours. The Israeli forces have been claiming that Hamas took about 240 hostages during the attack on Israel on October 7. 

However, in a press conference on Saturday evening, Netanyahu said, "There are many unsubstantiated rumors, many false reports about the hostages. I want to be clear, no deal has been done so far. But I promise, when there is something to say, we will let you know."

Is this regard, the spokesperson of the White House said that Israel and Hamas have not yet reached an agreement on a temporary ceasefire. He claimed that the United State is working to reach an agreement.

Attacks have increased in central and southern Gaza 

Israel has ordered residents from northern Gaza to move south. Most of the residents have moved away. Now the Israeli forces have increased the attack in central and southern Gaza. At least 31 people were killed in Saturday's attack on Buraij and Nuseirat refugee camps. This information is known from Gaza hospital sources. Six journalists were among the dead. A mother and her baby were killed in an overnight attack in Khan Yunis, southern Gaza. 

According to information provided by the Gaza Ministry of Health by Saturday evening, 12,300 people have been killed so far in the Israeli attack on Gaza. 5,000 children are among the dead. In addition, more than 30,000 Palestinians were injured in the Israeli attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Is Musk growing distant from the Trump administration over tariffs?

         Tesla CEO Elon Musk   Elon Musk has made several posts on social media criticizing a top White House adviser for US President ...